Friday, October 17, 2008

It's Nice to Be Appreciated... Though Not Exactly in this Way

"They're just sort of waiting for the Baby Boomers to start dying off."


So says Tara Olson, owner of AllPoints Research, a marketing research firm, referring to funeral parlor owners anticipating a boom in their business.

The death rate of about 8.1 per 1,000 people is expected to trend upward sometime in the next decade, potentially topping out at 10.9, reports the Associated Press. The average funeral home is projected to go from serving 120 families a year to 165.

One potential downer: What happens if Boomers skip the fancy burials and go for cremation instead?

You can count on this: Boomers will reinvent death and dying like they've reinvented everything else. Here's my prediction: Boomers will spend less on "dirt and caskets" funerals to memorialize their loved ones and more on cyber tributes. My wife toyed with the idea of creating a business that digitizes family photos and video, creates online memorials to loved ones and posts them for on the Internet for posterity. She dropped the idea when she discovered that someone else had beat her to it.

Now that I think of it, maybe I need to update my will: Cremate me and spread my ashes on the James River. Convert my family photos into a loving tribute set to the beat of "Wooly Bully.

("Death of Bob" image credit: Toonzone.net.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly agree with your comments about babyboomer death trends. That, coupled with a lifelong passion for art, inspired me to create Shine On Brightly, at www.shineonbrightly.com. It's an online gallery for memorial art,with babyboomers in mind. I am a babyboomer,and as I experience more end-of-life (parents, friends, pets) I realize that it's important to honor life. We spend money on weddings - we might as well do our best to celebrate the spirit at the grand finale!

Valuable Insights into the Hearts, Minds and Wallets of Today's Baby Boomers

This blog is by the authors of Boomer Consumer: Ten New Rules for Marketing to America's Largest, Wealthiest and Most Influential Group, on sale now.

Here is where you'll find information referenced in the book, as well as updates, news and perspectives from Matt Thornhill and John Martin, founders of the Boomer Project.